Bioinitiative Report 2012 Website
Summary for the Public PDF
A Rationale for Biologically-based Exposure Standards for Low-Intensity Electromagnetic Radiation
A report by 29 independent scientists and health experts from around the world about possible risks from wireless technologies and electromagnetic fields. It updates the BioInitiative 2007 Report.
The BioInitiative 2012 Report has been prepared by 29 authors from ten countries*, ten holding medical degrees (MDs), 21 PhDs, and three MsC, MA or MPHs. Among the authors are three former presidents of the Bioelectromagnetics Society, and five full members of BEMS. One distinguished author is the Chair of the Russian National Committee on Non-Ionizing Radiation. Another is a Senior Advisor to the European Environmental Agency. Full titles and affiliations of authors is in Section 25 – List of Participants
This update covers about 1800 new studies reporting bioeffects and adverse health effects of electromagnetic fields (powerlines, electrical wiring, appliances and hand-held devices) – and wireless technologies (cell and cordless phones, cell towers, WI-FI, wireless laptops, wireless routers, baby monitors, surveillance systems, wireless utility meters (‘smart meters’), etc.
Overall, these 1800 or so new studies report abnormal gene transcription (Section 5); genotoxicity and single-and double-strand DNA damage (Section 6); stress proteins because of the fractal RF-antenna like nature of DNA (Section 7); chromatin condensation and loss of DNA repair capacity in human stem cells (Sections 6 and 15); reduction in free-radical scavengers – particularly melatonin (Sections 5, 9, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17); neurotoxicity in humans and animals (Section 9), carcinogenicity in humans (Sections 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17); serious impacts on human and animal sperm morphology and function (Section 18); effects on offspring behavior (Section 18, 19 and 20); and effects on brain and cranial bone development in the offspring of animals that are exposed to cell phone radiation during pregnancy (Sections 5 and 18). This is only a snapshot of the evidence presented in the BioInitiative 2012 updated report.
BIOEFFECTS ARE CLEARLY ESTABLISHED
Bioeffects are clearly established and occur at very low levels of exposure to electromagnetic fields and radiofrequency radiation. Bioeffects can occur in the first few minutes at levels associated with cell and cordless phone use. Bioeffects can also occur from just minutes of exposure to mobile phone masts (cell towers), WI-FI, and wireless utility ‘smart’ meters that produce whole-body exposure. Chronic base station level exposures can result in illness.
BIOEFFECTS WITH CHRONIC EXPOSURES CAN REASONABLY
BE PRESUMED TO RESULT IN ADVERSE HEALTH EFFECTS
Many of these bioeffects can reasonably be presumed to result in adverse health effects if the exposures are prolonged or chronic. This is because they interfere with normal body processes (disrupt homeostasis), prevent the body from healing damaged DNA, produce immune system imbalances, metabolic disruption and lower resilience to disease across multiple pathways. Essential body processes can eventually be disabled by incessant external stresses (from system-wide electrophysiological interference) and lead to pervasive impairment of metabolic and reproductive functions.
The following are headings that are covered in more detail on the Conclusions page: Report Conclusions
- LOW EXPOSURE LEVELS ARE ASSOCIATED WITH BIOEFFECTS
AND ADVERSE HEALTH EFFECTS AT CELL TOWER RFR EXPOSURE LEVELS
- EVIDENCE FOR FERTILITY AND REPRODUCTION EFFECTS: HUMAN SPERM AND THEIR DNA ARE DAMAGED
- EVIDENCE THAT CHILDREN ARE MORE VULNERABLE
- FETAL AND NEONATAL EFFECTS OF EMF
- EMF/RFR AS A PLAUSIBLE BIOLGICAL MECHANISM FOR AUTISM (ASD)
- THE BLOOD-BRAIN BARRIER IS AT RISK
- EPIDEMIOLOGICAL STUDIES CONSISTENTLY SHOW ELEVATIONS IN RISK OF BRAIN CANCERS
- EVIDENCE FOR GENETIC EFFECTS
- EVIDENCE FOR NEUROLOGICAL EFFECTS
- EVIDENCE FOR CHILDHOOD CANCERS (LEUKEMIA)
- MELATONIN, BREAST CANCER AND ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE
- STRESS PROTEINS AND DNA AS A FRACTAL ANTENNA FOR RFR
- EVIDENCE FOR DISRUPTION OF THE MODULATING SIGNAL
HUMAN STEM CELL DNA DOES NOT ADAPT OR REPAIR
- N. EFFECTS OF WEAK-FIELD INTERACTIONS ON NON-LINEAR BIOLOGICAL OSCILLATORS AND SYNCHRONIZED NEURAL ACTIVITY
- EMF AND RFR MAKE CHEMICAL TOXINS MORE HARMFUL
- EMF IS SUCCESSFULLY USED IN HEALING AND DISEASE TREATMENTS
- ELF-EMF AND RFR ARE CLASSIFIED AS POSSIBLE CANCER-CAUSING AGENTS – WHY ARE GOVERNMENTS NOT ACTING?
- NEW SAFETY LIMITS MUST BE ESTABLISHED – HEALTH AGENCIES SHOULD ACT NOW
- SCIENTIFIC BENCHMARKS FOR HARM PLUS SAFETY MARGIN = NEW SAFETY LIMITS THAT ARE VALID
- SENSITIVE POPULATIONS MUST BE PROTECTED
- PROTECTING NEW LIFE – INFANTS AND CHILDREN
- STANDARD OF EVIDENCE FOR JUDGING THE SCIENCE
- WIRELESS WARNINGS FOR ALL
- EMF AND RFR ARE PREVENTABLE TOXIC EXPOSURES
- DEFINING A NEW ‘EFFECT LEVEL’ FOR RFR